cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame to ATM Compression

alittlefield
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if there is any hardware that can compress frame-relay and then decompress it at the atm end?

4 Replies 4

markvtran
Level 1
Level 1

No :-)

What are you trying to accomplish? Attaching a Serial interface running frame-relay on one side to an ATM interface on the other side? If so, not possible.

I want to take a router, we'll say is in Idaho, coming across F/R and my provider sends it to their ATM network. They then send it on to us (Florida). That means it's going from F/R to ATM straight to us. There is no reverting back to frame-relay before reaching the Host. The quesiton I have is is there anyway to compress the Idaho side (Frame-Relay) then decompress at the ATM side (Florida). Then vice versa.

ryan.hicks
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you are using FRF 8 (service inter-working) which is Frame-Relay to ATM which strips the frame header and converts to ATM. In addition you can use FRF 9 or FRF 12. You probably want to use 12. As 9 only compresses the payload. FRF.12 is commonly used in voice over applications.

FRF.9 Data Compression over Frame Relay Implementation Agreement

in Cisco routers (on interface) frame-relay payload-compression FRF9 stac.

FRF.12 Frame Relay Fragmentation Implementation Agreement

This link will take you to the frame-relay commands used to set this up. There is also a link to the setting up frf.12

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_c/wcdfrely.htm

docwatson
Level 1
Level 1

Take a look at the AIM4 compression card - you will need it on both ends.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card