Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU on router

cisco.ccnapie1
Level 1
Level 1
Hello, 

I have got an issue with one of my routers having high CPU. Could someone please guide me in troubleshooting high CPU. What I should be checking on the router and what could be the cause of high CPU. 

Thanks
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nikhil Kapoor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

There could be many reasons for high CPU. For high CPU on the router it could be process causing the high CPU or traffic (interrupts). Therefore first thing is to check if the CPU is being caused by some process or it is interrupts. 

Few checks that you could quickly do on the router. 
1. Show proc cpu sorted 5sec | ex 0.00 << This will confirm if there is process involved or interrupt.
2. Show stacks >> Any recent crash happened
3. Show ip traffic >> Any high amount of traffic which you think causing the issues. 
4. Check if there is any debug running on the router. 
5. Show interface switching >> Check if the how packets are being process. 

Below document would be helpful in isolating the issue. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/15095-highcpu.html

HTH,
Nikhil 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nikhil Kapoor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, 

There could be many reasons for high CPU. For high CPU on the router it could be process causing the high CPU or traffic (interrupts). Therefore first thing is to check if the CPU is being caused by some process or it is interrupts. 

Few checks that you could quickly do on the router. 
1. Show proc cpu sorted 5sec | ex 0.00 << This will confirm if there is process involved or interrupt.
2. Show stacks >> Any recent crash happened
3. Show ip traffic >> Any high amount of traffic which you think causing the issues. 
4. Check if there is any debug running on the router. 
5. Show interface switching >> Check if the how packets are being process. 

Below document would be helpful in isolating the issue. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/10000-series-routers/15095-highcpu.html

HTH,
Nikhil 

Thanks  I checked and it was some debug logs on router.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the output to the command "sh proc cpu sorted | ex 0.00".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card