cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many isdn bri can multilink support

mark.weaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2610xm with ios 12.2.8-T5 and a nm-4b-s/t 4 port isdn bri card with a bri attached to each port. The problem is that i cannot get ppp multilink to bring up more than 4 channels out of the possible 8. Is this a known limitation with ppp and isdn bri.

4 Replies 4

Hello Mark,

just to be sure, do you have the command ´ppp multilink´ configued on all your physical BRI interfaces, as well as your dialer interfaces (if you use them) ?

You also might want to try and configure the command:

ppp multilink links minimum 8

on your interfaces.

Regards,

Georg

PPP multilink was enabled on all interfaces however when i used the command ppp multilink links minimum 8 the router started bringing up more links using between 5 and seven.

This is confusing as i thought using that command would bring up all 8 lines and keep them up.

However i am better off than i was before.

many thanks

mark

Mark,

You can keep all the links up at the same time by using dialer load-threshold command. The threshold should be set to a very low value. This will make sure that all lines will come up and ppp multilink will take care of bundling them together.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks, i am using dialer load-threshhold and it is working fine bring up and taking down links as required,which is what i want.

I do not want all the links up when not necessary because of call charges, i just thought that by using that command it would bring all the links up.

This is only a short term solution while waiting for a high speed link to be installed.

regards

mark