cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to advertise subnet between routers thru BGP?

Lets say I have 3 routers named A, B, and C where routers A and C have one serial and one Ethernet. Router B has one Ethernet and 2 serials. A is connected to B via serial and then B is connected by the other serial interface to C. Each router also has its own AS defined in BGP with its local Ethernet network being advertised.

If each router has its own distinct Ethernet subnet advertised via BGP, what's the proper way to advertise the subnets in BETWEEN the routers? For example, if I am on the Ethernet segment of router C and I want to ping/telnet to the serial of router A... normally this would not be possible since router A would only advertise its ethernet segment. Would A advertise this segment or would B do it since they are both locally attached?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should also be able to advertise the subnet if you'd like. If it is a /30 you would do the following:

router bgp

network x.x.x.x mask 255.255.255.252

Of course the opposite router sharing that link would receive the update but wouldn't install it in the RIB since it already has a connected route for this same subnet but the router not sharing that link would.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

I think it is possible to advertise host routes for each serial ip. I don't think it is possible to advertise the whole subnet that exists on serial links between the routers.

To advertise a host route for a serial interface ip, try:

router bgp nnnnn

network x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 <----"x.x.x.x is the serial interface ip, /32 host mask"

!

ip route x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 serialx/y/z

I am not sure what the expected behaviour is if you try to advertise a whole in-between-subnet via one router.

If you find this helpful, then please share your findings!

Regards,

Mustafa

You should also be able to advertise the subnet if you'd like. If it is a /30 you would do the following:

router bgp

network x.x.x.x mask 255.255.255.252

Of course the opposite router sharing that link would receive the update but wouldn't install it in the RIB since it already has a connected route for this same subnet but the router not sharing that link would.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

So all that needs to be done is to pick one of the routers that's connected and to the /30 subnet and have it advertise the subnet. It seems like it wouldn't matter which one is used. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Rob

You are correct indeed.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez