cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How To View Traffic Stats on a 3550

scott.dunn
Level 1
Level 1

System image file is "flash:c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1/c3550-i9q3l2-mz.121-12c.

EA1.bin"

Using the above image I'm trying to verify traffic is going through the switch. IP accounting doesn't show it. Debug ip packet doesn't show it, NBAR isn't supported in the image. mls flow statistics doesn't appear to be supported.

My next step is physically go to the switch with a sniffer, but how can I see the traffic from the CLI?

9 Replies 9

rais.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

You can use:

1. show ip traffic

2. debug ip packet. The output from debug will be sent to the buffer log. Do show log to view the debug output.

Hope this helps.

Show ip traffic isn't granular enough and show log only shows what was also available at the console.

I thought it might be because the traffic was fast switched (or cef switched). So I disabled route-cacheing, to force process switching. But that didn't help either.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try "show interface counters" , this gives you the traffic on a port by port basis . You can also use "show interface accounting" for more info .

These stats are granular enough. I need to see that it's telnet traffic to a specific address.

Whoops, I typed "are" granular enough; I meant to type "ARE NOT" granular enough.

You would probably need a packet analyzer and use the span function to get that kind of information . It would be nice if they had a built in type packet capture that you could retrieve , they had this functionality on our old Bay networks hubs that we still use , comes in handy once in awhile .

Would that do?

access-list 102 permit tcp source-ip reverse-mask destination-ip reverse-mask eq telnet

debug ip packet 102

ACL 102 already permits any traffic to or from the target host.

though of adding the log to the permit in the acl? I use following to give me details about rogue devices on our network. I then look through the log to help classify my traffic.

access-list 111 permit TCP host 172.20.2.14 any range 0 65535 log

access-list 111 permit UDP host 172.20.2.14 any range 0 65535 log

access-list 111 permit ip any any