Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp problem....hsrp address not responding

justin.donoghue
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm hoping I can get some opinions on this. I have 2 7200 routers with 2 gig interfaces each. Each gig interface is connected to 2 stacked 3750 switches. I have sub interfaces configured on both the gig interfaces so they are essentially dot1q to the 3750 switches. I have specified a hsrp group for each subinterface on the 7200s. My problem is that when I have 1 of the 7200 routers acting as hsrp active for some groups and the other 7200 acting as hsrp active for other groups hosts lose connectivity to their hsrp address for one of the routers. i.e no response to pings yet correct mac address in arp table.All works well when I make either one of the routers the hsrp active for all of the groups. Any ideas?

r1----3750----hosts

\/ | <--stack

/\ |

r2----3750----hosts

17 Replies 17

Try a bigger decrement to like 20 , we had problems for some reason in the past when the decrement size was a small diffrence like you are using , use 160 and decrement by 20 .

Can you try to enable the proxy-arp and test again ?

Moreover, I suspect you may hit the bug as below. Try to follow the workaround and test again.

CSCse01124

Symptoms: The Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) may not come up and may remain in the "Init" state, which can be verified in the output of the show standby brief command.

Conditions: This symptom is observed when dampening is configured on a native Gigabit Ethernet interface of a Cisco 7200 series or on a Fast Ethernet interface of a PA-FE-TX port adapter. Other types of interfaces are not affected.

Workaround: When the symptom has occurred, enter the shutdown interface configuration command followed by the no shutdown interface configuration command on the Gigabit Ethernet and Fast Ethernet interfaces of all routers of the standby group.

To prevent the symptom from occurring, remove dampening from the Gigabit Ethernet and Fast Ethernet interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/prod_release_note09186a00805e291f.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the hints. I think I might try the standy use bia command with a larger decrement first and see how it goes. I suspect it's an issue with the hsrp mac address. I'll check out that bug although Im not getting any of the standby groups stuck in the Init state or I haven't configured dampening.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card