Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP & Spanning-Tree issues

ram.vijay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 6500(hybrid) as distribution(core) with 4506 on the access. Each 4506 has got connections from both 6500. I have multiple vlans and configured one 6500 to route odd vlans and the other 6500 route even vlans with HSRP running between them.

ie. 6500-1: vlan 1: active vlan 2: standby

6500-2: vlan 1: standby vlan 2: active.

similarly, spanning-tree root statements are also configured on 6500-L2.

with one 6500 being the spanning-tree root for odd vlans & the other 6500 being the spanning-tree root for even vlans.

I have misconfigured spanning-tree root statements in 6500 L2s.

ie. 6500-1 is spanning-tree root for even vlans against 6500-1 msfc being the HSRP active for odd vlans.

and 6500-2 is spanning-tree root for odd vlans against 6500-2 msfc being the HSRP active for even vlans.

Its been some months since implementation and haven't faced any issues.I know that I have introduced an extra hop for the packets exiting the network.

But I see in 6500-msfc logs, that there are HSRP state changes couple of times for all Vlans at the same instance.

ie. In 6500-1: all even vlans have changed state and in 6500-2: all odd vlans have changed state.

Although it is not periodic / frequent, last hsrp state change happened since 10weeks. Both the 6500s are upsince 19weeks.

My Question is

1. What is the potential impact of misconfiguration (other than the extra hop)?

2. Are the HSRP state changes (as in the logs) result of misconfiguration.

3. If not, why HSRP state change happens?

4. We have multicast running, can it have any effect on HSRP.

5. It is also observed duplicate address warning messages.

%STANDBY-3-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 10.10.10.2 on Vlan2, sourced by 0000.0c07.ac1a

Folks, I have refered this webpage in Cisco.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094afd.shtml#t20

As far as I know there were no outages in the network at any point of time.

Thanks for reading.

Rgds,

Vijay V

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1)Can cause Asymetric routing issues

2)I do not think the HSRP state changes are because of this STP root placement issue

3)Check for any layer 2 loop in VLAN 2 by building a STP topology starting from root switch. If you have any port channels, check for any misconfigs. Check for any wireless APs which can cause loop when not set up right.

4)I do not believe multicast routing is impacting your HSRP.

The tech tip you are referring to is a good document and should put you in the right direction.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card