Views
Helpful
Replies

Hybrid to Native Mode Migration

laurent.geyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have two 6509s currently running in hybrid mode. The plan is to replace the sup1as and replace them with sup720s running in native mode.

I am currently working on the new configuration and have a pretty good grasp of what it takes to convert the current setup but I am somewhat stumped as far as the VLAN configuration is concerned.

With `vlan database' seemingly deprecated in the IOS release we are going to use, am I going to be stuck with defining each vlan in config mode or is there a way to copy the VLAN information into the running config? So far nothing that I have tried on one of our spares seems to take.

Happy Holidays,

Laurent G.

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Laurent

I think, even though the vlan database mode is deprecated, its still available on the privilege mode. Atleast it is available on the 35xx, 37xx switches.. When you type vlan data it pops up with a message that this mode is deprecated and asks you to enter the commands from config mode.

Either modes, you will have to type in the vlans, their names and any other vtp configurations that you need to make. I would suggest to get a capture of your show vlan (in vlan database mode) on your old Sup and use WIndows notepad to edit a set of vlan commands that you can cut and paste into the new SUP. I would think this is the easiest way to do it, unless somebody else have a difference in opinion...

OR somebody with in depth knowledge of how the vlan.dat file structure is on native and hybrid mode (also Sup 1 and Sup 720) can tell you if you can copy the dat file from one sup to another and get away with it...

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

`vlan database' isn't available at all in the release we plan on running. I figured that alternatively I could always just cut and paste it just didn't seem like a very 'clean' solution.

Having it learn the VLANs like others have suggested seems like a good a solution in this scenario.

Thanks for your feedback!

Happy Holiday,

Laurent G.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

there is a tool converting (at least a part of) CatOS config to IOS on http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl .

Regarding VLANs:

If you are using VTP, configure your new switch (i.e. your swith with Sup replaced) as a VTP server (doublecheck the VTP revision number equals 0) and connect it to the network via a trunk.

It should download all VLAN definitions and you should be able to save them (VTP server saves the VLAN config).

AFAIK, using latest IOS you should be able to see VLAN configuration both via VLAN database and in config.

Regards,

Milan

Ugh, checked the wrong option, but Milan's response resolved my issue!

In response to:

milan.kulik

Dec 15, 2004, 9:25am PST

Hi,

there is a tool converting (at least a part of) CatOS config to IOS on http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl .

"Regarding VLANs:

If you are using VTP, configure your new switch (i.e. your swith with Sup replaced) as a VTP server (doublecheck the VTP revision number equals 0) and connect it to the network via a trunk.

It should download all VLAN definitions and you should be able to save them (VTP server saves the VLAN config).

AFAIK, using latest IOS you should be able to see VLAN configuration both via VLAN database and in config.

Regards,

Milan"

Joseph.Cram
Level 1
Level 1

Which version are you running?

I currently have (4) SUP-720's on 12.2(17d)SXB and while vlan database complains that it is being depricated, it still works. I haven't tried 12.2.18 yet.

I have personally moved into using the "vlan #" CLI from configure mode. (notice, there is a huge difference between interface vlan # and vlan #)

If the command has been removed, You could configure VLANS via VTP from a switch that runs your preferred interface until you learn the new. This is how I normally work migrations (let the new switch learn the VTP info from the current production switches).

Good Luck!

The release we plan on using is 12.2(18)SXD, so it is very possible that it was removed entirely in this minor release.

We are using VTP and currently have someting like 90 VLANs (which is why I'm hessitant to configure them using config mode :).

Now, in our current configuration one of the 6509s is configured as server. I guess you are suggesting that I bring down the one currently configured in client mode and then have it learn the VLANs by configuring the current VTP domain.

When I bring down the other 6509, currently in server mode, will I have to configure the successfully migrated 6509 as server for the interim or will the 6509 learn the VLANs from the other clients?

If I understand what you suggested correctly, then this certainly seems like the best solution.

Thanks for the feedback!

Laurent G.

I believe you can configure them all at once if they are consecutive like vlan 1-90, enter . If you have to define layer 3 SVI's for each then that is a different story , though you should be able to cut and paste out of your previous MSF if you are keeping all the definitions the same , we are currently going thru the same drill going from Hybrid to IOS .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card