cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I am building a home lab. I have a 1841 router connected to the ISP router and is configured and works good. I have 3550 switch

papathimiu
Level 1
Level 1

I am building a home lab. I have a 1841 router connected to the ISP router and is configured and works good. I have 3550 switch inside my network. I can ping as far as the outside interface on the router, but not further then that. No idea why. I have enabled IP routing on the switch and I have redirected all unknown traffic out of the routers interface. Can anyone suggest something. I have no idea why is not working.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi ,

Check your NATing , configured on your router . When you say you cant ping further , suspecting checks to be done on NAT/PAT

HTH

Sandy

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disable "ip routing" of your switch. 

Instead, configure router-on-a-stick.  Your router should be doing the routing.  Enable Dot1Q trunking between router and switch interface.  

Hi Leo

Thank you for the answer.

I tried what you said. I disable the IP routing on the switch and I configure the interface fa0/1 on the router with sub-interface and I used the encapsulation dot1q. On the switch I configured the interface that I have the PC as access and the interface that goes to the router as a trunking. But still the same problem.

Still no idea why. Normally this should work without any problem...

Hi ,

Check your NATing , configured on your router . When you say you cant ping further , suspecting checks to be done on NAT/PAT

HTH

Sandy

Sorry I pressed the correct answer by mistake. I wish that was the answer.

I can ping the internet and any ip address or domain name from the router. But not from the pc connected to the switch

Hi ,

Kindly share me your router & switch config 

1) when you say you are able to ping all destination from router , not from PC and switch following things to be checked 

a) NAT/PAT

b) LAN network extend-ability over to switch .

HTH

Sandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: