cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I can ping router to router but not pc to router or pc to pc OSPF

Here2Stay
Level 1
Level 1

I can ping router to router but not PC to router/PC. the packet tracer lab is attached. thank you in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

2 things to correct.

1. configure gig 0/0 ip address subnet to 255.255.255.0. not 255.255.0.0

2. configure default gateway IP for every PC/Laptops

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

Hello,

you can use the /16 subnet mask, but that involves configuring static host routes. Routing always follows the principle of longest match, so if you had host routes to your routers, those will override the OSPF routes. In the revised file attached, the /16 masks remain in place, and static host routes are added to the routers. It is rather tedious, but possible, and a good exercise for the purpose of learning.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

2 things to correct.

1. configure gig 0/0 ip address subnet to 255.255.255.0. not 255.255.0.0

2. configure default gateway IP for every PC/Laptops

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

My first configuration was with subnet 255.255.255.0 and It didn't work, so I changed it to 255.255.0.0. however, I completely skipped configuring the DG on my devices! So i assume the problem was the gateway on devices from the get-go!

I have one last question, why wouldn't 255.255.0.0 work in this scenario? 

Hello,

you can use the /16 subnet mask, but that involves configuring static host routes. Routing always follows the principle of longest match, so if you had host routes to your routers, those will override the OSPF routes. In the revised file attached, the /16 masks remain in place, and static host routes are added to the routers. It is rather tedious, but possible, and a good exercise for the purpose of learning.

Thank you so much for your explanation and help. I really appreciate your help!!!!

Thank you so much  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco