cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGRP "missing"/pointers needed

Josef Oduwo
Level 7
Level 7

I am missing IGRP on one of my routers, a 2610. Any attempt to configure IGRP is not accepted. And a router help command gives me the output below:

Router(config)#router ?

bgp Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)

eigrp Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)

isis ISO IS-IS

iso-igrp IGRP for OSI networks

mobile Mobile routes

odr On Demand stub Routes

ospf Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)

rip Routing Information Protocol (RIP)

A show version yields:

Router#sh version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-C-M), Version 12.3(10), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 17-Aug-04 05:11 by kellythw

Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x80C4672C

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 51 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2600-c-mz.123-10.bin"

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x203) with 28672K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD042108MO (2326330297)

Could someone point me in the right direction?

TIA,

Josef.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iso-igrp is a significantly different protocol and is not at all the same as IGRP.

Cisco has removed support for IGRP in current versions of IOS. This is not a question of feature sets supporting various things. This reflects the decision that IGRP was an old protocol which was not used much any more, that its functionality was supplied (and improved) by EIGRP, and that Cisco could reduce size and complexity by dropping IGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Josef,

This is really wierd. I looked up your image in the Software Advisor, and found that IGRP was not in the list of supported features.

Maybe it is something to do with it being the Remote Access Server feature set, but I cannot see why that would exclude IGRP. EIGRP is there OK. In fact, searching for an IOS for the 2610 that supported IGRP, I could not find anything in 12.3.

Looks like they took it out.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thanks Kevin.

I found this particularly intriguing given that iso-igrp (IGRP for OSI networks) is supported in this particular version. Which begets another question: is iso-igrp "inter-area" IGRP?

Would it be why it is supported in this IOS version, but IGRP isn't?

Otherwise on a unrelated demi-semi-vent, it is fine to study this stuff, being one of the more straightforward "protocols", but does anyone actually use it?

Josef.

iso-igrp is a significantly different protocol and is not at all the same as IGRP.

Cisco has removed support for IGRP in current versions of IOS. This is not a question of feature sets supporting various things. This reflects the decision that IGRP was an old protocol which was not used much any more, that its functionality was supplied (and improved) by EIGRP, and that Cisco could reduce size and complexity by dropping IGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for that guys,

Josef.