cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increase The Frame Relay bandwich

FBARRERAR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I Have a Router 3800 Series with the IOS 11.x and have a Frame Relay circuit of 128 Kbps, we need change the bandwitch to 512 Kbps, What I be modify in my router to work with these new configuration what are the steps?

Thanks

Fabian

8 Replies 8

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! First you'll have to check if your transmission facility (provided by your telco) is capable of providing you with 512Kbps. If so, you'll just have to adjust the bandwidth parameter on your interface at both end routers (bandwidth = 512 in Kbps). If you're connected back to back through a modem, adjust the bandwidth on the modem then on the interface of your router.

Router <--> Telco Line <--> Router

Router <--> Modem <--> Line <--> Modem <--> Router

Hope this helps! Regards - albert Ü

Thanks Albert, do you know what are the especifics commands, where i can see how to work with it, or where i can see an example ?

Regards

Fabian

Hi! On the router, to change the bandwidth:

Router>en

Router#conf t

Router(config)#int s0

Router(config-if)#bandwidth 512

to verify, just use the show running config or show interface command.

For configuration samples, just go to cisco.com and search for frame relay sample config.

Hope this helps! - albert Ü

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

More information is needed ....

Is 128K your access rate or CIR?

If it is your access rate, then you'll need to add channels to your assignments on your CSU/DSU (be it internal or external).

If it is your CIR, then you may need to change your traffic shaping parameters, but the basic bandwidth setup should be OK.

Just to make sure you understand: you cannot arbitrarily change your bandwidth. The telco must reprovision the circuit. If both ends don't match, the circuit will not come up.

The "Bandwidth" parameter has absolutely no effect on the actual speed of the device ... it is only there for (some) routing protocols to determine the best path ... it does nothing to change the actual clocking of the data.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott, finally My telco can offer the bandwidth that I need, they will change the DTU,

Question 1: maybe i will need use a serial interface to transmit Voice / and Data what parameters i will need change?

Question 2: my router is working with CIR, what other parameter i should be give from the telco

Questions 3: What tests i should do to prepare or pre-check that the new configuration will run?

Thanks

The parameters you need to know are:

Access Rate: What is the total bandwidth being fed to your site. According to your previous post, it's probably a fractional T1 rate ... like ~768k ... possibly a full T1 ... possibly the same as your CIR ... it could be anywhere in-between CIR and full T1.

CIR: In your original post you mention going to 512K CIR. This represents the nominal bandwidth available and (usually) guaranteed by your provider.

Committed Burst (Bc - pronounced "B-sub-c"): this is the amount of time your are contractually allowed to burst to full Access Rate (your frames are marked as Discard Eligible, but are (usually) not discarded unless your traffic hits a congested area of the network).

Excessive Burst: (aka "Be" : B-sub-e) This is the borderline of when you begin to exceed the Comitted Burst time frame (for many providers, you are allowed to burst to Access Rate for ~1/8th of a second, then you enter the Be). In a strictly policed Frame network, "Be" traffic is usually discarded regardless of congestion.

Depending on what the other end of the connection is and the amount of bandwidth the other end is provided, you may want / need to enable Traffic Shaping on your router .... or the router on the opposite end. Traffic Shaping paces the egress traffic form you router such that you will never / rarely violate Bc (so your traffic is not policed / dropped in teh Frame cloud). While the pacing does slow things down some, it actually (usually) tends to make the traffic appear to flow faster because there are fewer re-transmissions due to policed/dropped frames (apparent higher throughput).

If you also control the other side of the connection, Qcheck is a handy testing tool: it's free and will give throughput, latency, and packet drop on the link. You must run an "endpoint" application at each end of the connection (the endpoints talk only to each other). You can Google for it, I believe it was done by NetIQ, which was split and sold to either ixia (ixia.com) or (I forgot the other name).

If you do not control the other end, you should be able to ask your provider for a bandwidth report covering anywhere from an hour to a day to a week. An alternative would be to try http://www.broadbandreports.com or speedtest.com .... someplace like that.

As far as parameters to adjust (other than traffic shaping), you may want to enable some QOS / TOS, custom queuing, weighted queueing .... it will vary depending on how much of the network you control, and what's on the other side.

Let us know and we can take it from there.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott, I have news for this issue,

First, my Telco couldn´t provide the service to 512 Kbps, but it can provide two circuits with 128 Kpbs, so my configuration changed because I need use 64 Kbps to Voice / Frame and the rest to data, How work the router in this case? How the router know to where should send traffic what interface first and second? How I can monitor with qchek these two channels now?

Thanks Very Much

Fabian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card