cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Increasing Flash Memory size

tinu_karki
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Currently i need to upgrade the IOS on a 1750 router. However the IOS in question is half a meg larger than the flash mem size of the router. Even if i delete everything from the flash mem the IOS doesnt fit. I have to questions - Firstly is there anything else i can do to increase the size of the flash mem after ive already deleted files from the flash mem? And secondly another 1750 router in another site has more than double the amount of flash RAM.why is this the case?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

You can try the command "erase flash /no-squeeze-reserve-space", this frees 524,288 bytes of space on 2600 series routers. Not shure if it will work for your 1700 series router.

The reason for greater flash is that the other 1750 came with a later IOS release. As the features get richer the storage requirements increase.

You should have at least 16MB of flash if not 32MB nowadays.

Flash memory can be bought from Cisco or third party suppliers, do a Google on it if the above suggestion does not work.

HTH

-- Leon

* Please rate useful posts

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

Like most cisco routers the amount of memory and flash is a option and can be upgraded.

See this link for instructions and part numbers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_configuration_guide09186a0080099429.html

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

You can try the command "erase flash /no-squeeze-reserve-space", this frees 524,288 bytes of space on 2600 series routers. Not shure if it will work for your 1700 series router.

The reason for greater flash is that the other 1750 came with a later IOS release. As the features get richer the storage requirements increase.

You should have at least 16MB of flash if not 32MB nowadays.

Flash memory can be bought from Cisco or third party suppliers, do a Google on it if the above suggestion does not work.

HTH

-- Leon

* Please rate useful posts