cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inexpensive IP managed switch/hub/whatever ?

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have some very small unmanned remote sites with control type equipment, and they currently have unmanaged hubs for the site 'network'. We have occasionally had problems and wished for a hub or switch that has some management capabilities, minimally to reply to echo requests, perhaps up to an SNMP managed device. The boss says that the 2950 is a bit too expensive, and I say these remote sites are too small for them anyway (some are just electrical enclosures at the side of the road). Anybody got any good ideas for me ? A small 8 port managed hub or switch that you like ? Please let me know what products you would consider for this, I'll buy you a coffee next time you're in Saskatoon !

I've looked through the Linksys line, and at 3COM but their managed devices seem to start at 16 ports of rackmounted interfaces. Ideally we can find a 5 or 8 port standalone device.

Best Regards, and Thanks for ANY suggestions,

Dave

3 Replies 3

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

I think the Catalyst Express 500 fits the bill. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_qanda_item0900aecd80322b09.shtml

However, as they have a 1RU size, it may be too big, although cheap.

The 2940 switches are the smallest managed switch we sell. They may be of interest as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5213/index.html

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Ditto. I think the 2940 fits the bill. You can get them for about $550 + shippping

s.conway
Level 1
Level 1

Check out the SMC device www.CDW.com

SMC TigerSwitch 10/100 Standalone 8-port 10/100 Managed Switch

8-port 10/100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet managed switch

MFG#: SMC6708L2 $242.99

I've only used the SMC stuff at home, never had any trouble with it. It seems to be what you're looking for though.

Sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: