cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS monitor session downs port

clo3056
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Network Instruments Probe attached to a port on a 6509 running IOS. I want to span a 100Mb port to monitor traffic on another 100Mb port on the same card.

The problem is, that when I define the destination port, the protocol on the destination port goes into the 'down (monitoring)' state and I lose contact with the probe.

This did not happen under a previous configuration with CatOS on the same 6509, the probe worked fine collecting stats and reporting back to the main monitor. Is this the way the destination port protocol is supposed to look? If the port is down, how does the probe report back to the main monitor?

I have a question in to Network Instruments also, but I need to understand how exactly the destination port works (don't send me to the 'Configuring SPAN-6500' book as it does not explain how the span actually takes place).

2 Replies 2

I haven't had this problem on our 6509s because we still run hybrid on them. However, we get the same thing on our 2950s (but not on our old 2924s).

I got round it by allowing INGRESS on the destination port. Is that available on your 6509 config?

Pete

Thanks for responding. No, the 6509 does not allow for ingress. I received a response from Network Instruments, and they say it requires a second NIC to talk to the monitor with IOS on a 6509. I will try this today.