Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade

m_nichols
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a 2500 router that I need to upgrade the IOS, but I am having issues.

I have the router connected via the console port on the router and the com1 port on the pc. I then start the tftp server app - then go to the router and do the following steps.

copy tftp flash

ip address (my machine)

source name

dest name

it then fails... i have the image file within the server folder..... it seems as though the router can't see the pc... any ideas on how i can solve this problem? the router is not on the network, just connected to my machine...

2 Replies 2

jkemery
Level 1
Level 1

TFTP is a TCP/IP service. ie. you need to have a network connection between the PC and the router. If you can't do this then you will have to copy the flash image via xmodem transfer. You can find this info by searching CCO for "2500 IOS Upgrade" that should spit out a pleathera of pages on the 2500s, good luck!!!

dweiland
Level 1
Level 1

Hi -

I think you can't connect to a TFTP server from the console port because the IP stack is not bound to the PC com port or the router console.

You could use an ethernet cross-cable to connect the router with your PC LAN port or simply put the router on the same LAN, give the router ethernet port an appropriate IP address, then you can use your TFTP application.

HTH,

Denise Weiland

Senior Technical Instructor

InfoVista

Tel: +33 164 868 558

Fax: +33 164 867 988

Cell: +33 672 015 838

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card