Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA to monitor an ICMP's Latency of destination and take action

Karl Tremblay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello group,

I need some advices/help on setup. I need to monitor the ping latency value on a destination/host.

In fact, I need to ping a destination IP, based on the latency result, if the latency of the ping(or round trip maybe) is more than lets say 15ms, I would need to shutdown a specific port, and vice-versa, if the ping come back under 12ms no shut the specific port.

My question, is it possible to use the IP SLA option to monitor the icmp latency value on a specific host/destination, and based the on result as I said, take a specific interface shut or no shut ? and running forever.

I guess I would need to use the IP SLA feature with the addition of  an "event manager applet" for the interface action, also maybe track feature ?

Do you think it's possible ? Is there others options I could use to acheive my goal here ?

Device would be cisco 3600 or ASR920.

Thanks for help,

Karl Tremblay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a look at this document :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/ipsla/command/reference/sla_book/sla_02.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a look at this document :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/ipsla/command/reference/sla_book/sla_02.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Working ! thanks a lot marce1000 

Is this for VoIP?

no, only to route customer data traffic

Hello,

the below should work:

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 8.8.8.8
frequency 5
!
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
!
event manager applet RTT
event timer watchdog time 30
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 1.1 cli command "show ip sla statistics 1 | include RTT"
action 1.2 regexp "Latest RTT:.([0-9]+)" "$_cli_result"
action 1.3 if $_regexp_result ge "15"
action 1.4 cli command "conf t"
action 1.5 cli command "interface GigabitEthernet0/0"
action 1.6 cli command "shut"
action 1.7 cli command "end"
action 1.8 elseif $_regexp_result le "12"
action 1.9 cli command "conf t"
action 2.0 cli command "interface GigabitEthernet0/0"
action 2.1 cli command "no shut"
action 2.2 cli command "end"
action 2.3 end

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: