Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 implementation in our environment

blackpearl87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We are planning to implement IPv6 technology in our environment before doing that i studied about IPv6 and IPv6 to IPv4 transiotion methodology and found few of the transistion methods used like.

• Dual Stacks
  • Tunneling
  • NAT- (Nat PT, Nat 64, etc)

My question is apart from this is there any method or option available to communicate IPv6 to IPv4 or vice versa. in Local Area Network only not in WAN.

Note : We have L3 switch in our environment. and L2 switch stacks .

Anyone, Please help me figure out this.

Regards

Suresh 

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I prefer Dual Stack myself.  Nice and simple.  You'll want to get an IPv6 public prefix from your ISP as well.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply. Surely i will consider your option but my question i knew these are three techniques available in IPV6 to IPv4 communication but i want to know apart from these three techniques is any other method or way available to communicate IPV6 and IPV4.

Regards

Suresh KC

Anyone please help me to figure out this.

Regards

Suresh

Hi Suresh,

One translation method which is rarely mention is to use LISP. In this scenario the translation occurs on a Proxy Tunnel Router (PxTR):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_lisp/configuration/xe-3s/irl-xe-3s-book/irl-cfg-lisp.html#GUID-B4EBAB7D-84CA-482C-B96E-6609ECBAE78E

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Rubik,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please explain how to implement this in LAN.

And also if possible i just want to know the what are the possible ways are available in IPv6 to IPv4 transition.

Regards

Suresh KC

Hi Friends,

Need your help. Please advice me

Thanks 

Suresh 

timway001
Level 1
Level 1

Suresh, can you explain your question or the problem you are trying to solve in more detail?

Are you looking to deploy a segment with IPv4 or IPv6 and be able to provide connectivity between to the two protocols?

If you are looking to deploy an IPv6 only segment and retain connectivity to IPv4 resources you will likely want to look at NAT64 and DNS64. This can be used with either GUA or ULA IPv6 but with ULA IPv6 only you would need to leverage NAT66 (prefix translation).

If your provider doesn't offer GUA IPv6 at your edge you can always tunnel it in from a service like Hurricane Electric. I'm growing more and more in favor of IPv6 only with NAT64 and DNS64. It is likely easier to deploy dual stack to start with. When you are more comfortable with IPv6 then you can layer on NAT64 and DNS64 to go IPv6 only on a segment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card