Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it normal that ping fails sometimes?

Manuel Nin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I bought a VPS server from an internet provider.

Their Data Center is in Canada.

I was pinging my vps server IP and when I stopped of do pings I got:

Sent packets: 1000, Received packets: 998, Lost: 2

My question is; Is it normal that happens? Our I should take care of this?

Thanks,

Manuel Nin

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That could of just been a blip on the circuit , i wouldnt worry about that its 99.8% hit rate

If its continual and alwasy dropping packets then yes ask them to check why your seeing drops, but siomething taht low could even have been your server for even a minial second no responding to the ping , what you dont want to see is random incremental drops constantly occurring

The original poster has not told us how he is accessing the Data Center in Canada (or where he is accessing it from). If this access were on a dedicated circuit I might be slightly concerned about packet loss. If this connection is via the Internet (as seems likely) then I fully agree with Mark that there is not reason to worry about dropping 2 packets out of a thousand.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,I bought a VPS server from an internet provider.Their Data Center is in Canada.I was pinging my vps server IP and when I stopped of do pings I got:Sent packets: 1000, Received packets: 998, Lost: 2My question is; Is it normal that happens? Our I should take care of this?Thanks,Manuel Nin

Hello Manuel,

Valid point highlighted by Rick,Alarm of packet loss depends on how the access connectivity between VPS server and Canada DC.

If it is via Internet service provider then this type of loss is fine but if it via deidcated link like point to point or vai MPLS then you should raise an alram to check those link packet loss with provider.

-GI