cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN BRI "U" WIC: can it head-end two remote 56K V.90 analog modems?

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

I have an unused Cisco 2620, two ISDN BRI "U" WICs, and two ISDN BRI lines at the main office. Can I use these to provide a low-density remote access solution for up to four (4) remote dial-in users with analog modems?

I want them to be able to approach 56k on link speed. (Anything better than 28.8k or 33.6k would be nice.) What else do I need to make this work? IOS IP Plus? Digital modem network module? Something else?

Can you even terminate a 56k analog modem call on anything less than a remote access T1 PRI, and expect to get maximum connect speed?

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No..BRI-U in 2600 routers are not able to receive and terminate the calls from analog modems.

BUT If you have 3600 router with digital mica modems and bri lines , the calls from analog modems can be terminated to get 56K speed.

Pl. visit

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/bri_3640.html

Terminating the analog calls on T1 line is always there.

Thanks for the feedback on the BRI "U" WICs. I guess I will just have to get those people onto ISDN...

I looked at that link you pointed me to, about the BRI network modules and the digital modem modules doing what I wanted to do on the 3640. It got me thinking: I have another customer who could use that combination.

When I ran it through Product Advisor, though, it suggested that I consider the 3745 instead. Will that also work on the 3745?

YES..it will work with 3745 too.

Beware: Ensure that whomever you choose as your LongDistance provider, at your central dial-in site supports ckt-switched data. Otherwise, ISDN-originated calls outside your local calling area will not be possible. For instance, AT&T does allow this, and Cable & Wireless does not.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card