Views
Helpful
Replies

List all MAC addresses

IVAN_LOZANO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to get all the MAC addresses of the systems connected to my Cisco 4506.

I already tried show mac-address-list and then I selected only the unicast addresses.

But the quantity of them varies on time and I got reported only a few of the devices connected. I have more computers in that switch but their MAC addresses are not listed even the ports are active.

How can I get a complete list of connected systems?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

wdugger
Level 1
Level 1

Try using the show mac-address-address command, which should show you all the mac addresses and the associated ports.

Bill

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

waht you describe is the normal behaviour of a switch. A switch will learn mac-addresses only when the client sent any traffic. The only way toreahc this is to sent a broadcast to which all clients must answers. You can use some network tools for this.

When the client answer the switch learn the mac-addresses and you can see it in the table.

Regards

Peter

Something else to consider is changing the mac aging time.

Never having used a cat4000, I can't give you the exact command. on a cat6000 you can do

set cam aging 1-1000 21600

to have the switch remember MAC addresses for up to 6 hours instead of the default 5 minutes.

Something else that may or may not work on a cat4000:

snmp-server 3nable traps MAC-Notification

interface

snmp trap mac-notification added

to get an SNMP trap showing the port and mac address whenever the switchport learns a new mac addr

Regards,

Lee

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Another way of doing it is to switch on port security on every access port, but without the disable action, and see what MAC address gets registered on each port.

Are you CatOS or IOS?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg