cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LRE versus PLC

intertechusa
Level 1
Level 1

We're bidding on a large project and plan on using LRE. Another company bidding against us plans on using PLC (power line communications) equipment.

Besides being Cisco equipment, does anybody have some good reasons why not to use PLC (Telkonet) that I can use to help win. Has anybody competed against PLC for a project?

We will be connecting about 15 buildings all tied together with one PBX phone system. I guess PLC has come a long way but Cisco doesn't have solution with this technology yet nor does it have any marketing material on LRE versus PLC in a commercial environment.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

i can't describe all the disadvatahes from PLC in detail. In Germany plc is not a big market. You have problems with the speed (up to 10 MBit/s) and with interferences. Our company use many LRE connections for customers and we made very good experiences. I'am working in our TAC Team and we have only some configuration changes on LRE Networks. Very rarely problems!! You can use normal Switch Ports with up to 1 GBit/s and you can use the same equipment as in the rest of your network.

Regards

Peter