cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Measuring Bandwidth Utilization

salston
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a small company that has a T1 circuit to the Internet. Network hardware is one 3548 Switch, Pix 506, and a 2610 Router.

How can I measure available bandwidth for my circuit versus what I'm using. I'd even like to see the types of traffic (to see if Web radio is killing me)

Since we're small, I can only use an inexpensive solution, but am interested in learning about the various products that offer this capability.

Thanks much,

Steve

6 Replies 6

kmwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

The most obvious method is to do a 'show interface ser 0/0' on your 2610 router, or whichever interface your T-1 is attached to. This will show the current 5 minute average loading on the interface. You can also change the load-interval to something less than the 5 minute average by specifying a different value in the interface configuration on the router.

Concerning the ability to categorize the traffic, we use Packeteer, an in-line device that provides traffic-shaping so that you can assign a priority to traffic, like web-radio. We got clobbered on our ISP links on 9/11 with everyone listening to live radio from the Web, and had to modify our traffic-shaping parameters so as to be able to do normal business.

This is one solution, not the least expensive, but among the easiest to configure and manage.

Good luck, Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply -- helps loads.

Steve

jeremystinson
Level 1
Level 1

One of the ways that we monitor bandwidth on some of our routers and switches is using MRTG. This is a free tool that uses SNMP to query the devices and dynamically created HTML pages. It is a pretty cool tool and IMHO, really easy to use.

Good Luck,

Jeremy

I agree, MRTG is the best and least expensive! Check out www.mrtg.org.

It will not classify type of traffic though. You may need packet sniffing software like NAI Sniifer.

Thanks guys for the MRTG recommendation. I'll check it out. Even if it doesn't do traffic characterization, I guess I shouldn't expect a Porsche on a VW pocket book.

Steve

andrew
Level 1
Level 1

Your interest of monitoring the BW which is possible using the high end product like HP Openview, Tivoli,etc. Other inexpensive solution is to have management system with graphical engine. MRTG, Router PM, SmartManage from HCL Comnet, etc. are the product may suit your need.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card