Missing pings

fcatalao
Level 1
Level 1

We have two sites that are connected as such:

------ ----

|2948L3|---- bridge ---E1-- brdige ----|7206|

------ ----

When I do an extended ping from either router to the other side we get missing pings. It´s not a bandwidth problem since we are nowhere near to even 50% usage (monitoring using mrtg).

The interfaces are configured to defualt FIFO queuing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fernando

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

WHat does a show controllers e1 reveal ? Do you see any errors ?? Clear the counters (clear counters) and see if these errors are increasing. You might be having a bad circuit..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

may be a bug in 2948gl3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not clear when you say missing pings whether that means that all ping packets fail or whether it means that some succeed and some fail. Could you clarify?

If I understand your diagram correctly you have a 2948 and a 7206 with bridging between them. Are the interfaces on both devices set up to be in the same subnet? If you could provide some more information about the topology of the network it would help. Also if you could post details of how both devices are configured on the connection that would help.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply. I appologise for only answering now but I have been on holiday.

90% of pings succeed. And to be more specific, what we have in between are two Alcatel ATM switches. Both atm switches are connected to each other with vcc´s configured. The 2948 and 7206 are connected to the atm switches with bridges configured.

Yes the interfaces are on the smae subnet.

What we have done as a test was to connect our E1 circuits directly to 2 7206 (bypassing the atm) and our problem was solved.

But we really do need to use the atm switches as backbone machines.

Thanks

Fernando

abhijeet80
Level 1
Level 1

I also encountered a similar type of problem. What are you using the bridging for?, has this problem started immediately after configuring bridgging?

If you post the config of both routers, it will be helpful.

Abhi