Views
Helpful
Replies

MSFC, VLANS, HELP

neilmcelhinney
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody help,

I am trying to create a Management VLAN on a Switched Network (All Cisco). Core Switch is a 6000. Problem is Due to the limited range of IP addresses I have. I can't create a seperate Subnet for the MSFC to Route the traffic between the VLANS. Can anybody shed some light on what I should Do. I am probably being very thick by the way!

4 Replies 4

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you want MSFC to do inter-vlan routing then u dont need to spare a seperate subnet for MSFC. You just need to create vlan interfaces on MSFC and give 1 IP address of each Vlan`s range.

The following config will give u config setup for making Vlan interfaces on MSFC.

This example shows how to enable IP routing on the RSFC, create a VLAN interface, and assign the interface an IP address:

Router#configure terminal

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Router(config)#ip routing

Router(config-router)#interface vlan 100

Router(config-if)#ip address 10.1.1.x 255.0.0.0

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Router(config-if)#^Z

Router#

making as many vlan interfaces as many vlans you have in ur network and which want inter-vlan comm. to happen.

Kindly update for further queries

Aashish C

a small mistake :

Router(config)#ip routing

Router(config)#interface vlan 100 (not config-router)#

Router(config-if)#ip address 10.1.1.x 255.0.0.0

Sorry. I my original message was a bit unclear. My Fault.

I want to create a management VLAN on this network. I have 9 Switches in total, the core is a 6000. The range of IP address I have to play with is very small 255.255.255.192. I can't really subnet this anymore to create a different Subnet for the Managment VLAN. Can I use the same Subnet on both VLANS? Will the MFSC route between them if I do?

any info helpful

regards

If you are running short of IPs then I would suggest you to keep 1 vlan. ON MSFC you should get an error while giving same range of IPs to 2 interfaces.

Thanks

Aashish C