Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing

nunoscosta
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I have Tibco Rendevouz running on the campus network for applications support, because of that we have 239.255.x.x address assigned for multicast.

The network have two cat6500 series on the core layer acting as unicast and multicast routing. The eigrp is the unicast protocol and the multicast is PIM sparse mode with anycast RP configured. We have some vlans configured in rapid pvstp.

The cast6500 are the distribution to the cat4500 series and 3550 series sw that will give access to the end devices on the campus network.

We do not have igmp snooping configured on the core layer (2 cat6500) or access layer (cat4500 and 3550), i think we should right?

Pim sparse-dense mode is better than sparse-mode? we have many to many multicast flow and in some cases one to many.

Can you give me some advices or tips or everything is perfect with this configuration?

The network is something like this tree:

CORE LAYER: 0 -- 0

REDUNDANT LINKS: /| |\

ACCESS LAYER: o o o o

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Nuno Costa

2 Replies 2

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hola Nuno,

your setup looks solid. As with regard to IGMP snooping (I think it is enabled by default on the 6500 switches), it can actually place a (high) load on the CPU, check your processes (show proc cpu) for the following processes if you want to enable it:

IGMPSN

IGMP Snooping Pr

Snooping Re

Otherwise, consider using CGMP instead..

Regards,

GNT

TKS for your answer.

IGMP is better than cgmp and i think have no problem on l3 deveices like 3550 and 4500 series switches.

Cgmp is for older switches :| and i need a cgmp configured on the core layer for the cat6500 acting as cgmp servers.

I want to view another choises like auto rp and anycast rp combination and advantages on pim sparse-dense-mode!

Best regards,

Nuno