cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VTP Server in a Single VTP Domain

c-rai
Level 1
Level 1

Can I configure two VTP Server in a single VTP Domain ??

Do I need to configure VLAN on both the VTP Server or only on one server.

Pl. help

6 Replies 6

wpreisinger
Level 1
Level 1

you can configure 2 vtp servers in one vtp domain but it is not recommend. Because each vtp server have its on revison number - each time you modify the vlan database the revison number will be increase by one. so it could happen you introduce a new switch as vtp server with a high revison number. the vtp servers will synchronzi there database with the new one - you have lost your vlan database from the old server!

use only one server - or if you want/must use more then one - please the revision number from the new one - show vtp status

hope this helps!

This is not correct!!!

VTP revision number has nothing to do with number of VTP servers. Even if you connect a VTP client with higher revision number it would rewrite the VLAN database of all VTP domain members including all servers.

You can have as many VTP servers as you want - they are just places where you can define or change your VLANs. I don't recommend having just one VTP server in your network because VTP server is the only place where VLAN definition is saved to NVRAM. So if there is only one VTP server in your network and it crashes in the case of your building power failure, e.g., all your switches would boot after the power repair but if the VTP server would not boot all the VLANs configurations would be lost. So use at least two VTP servers. I've got all my backbone switches configured as VTP servers.

Regards,

Milan

huangxiao
Level 1
Level 1

If you configure two VTP Server in a single VTP Domain...Maybe it will be no work!!

It works with no problem.

Regards,

Milan

Hi Milan,

Pl, reply to my second query.

Do I need to configure vlan on both the VTP Server ??

Thnx in advance

Reg

Chnadrakesh

No, all you need is to configure a new VLAN on one of your VTP servers. After that VTP protocol ensures that the information about the new VLAN is copied to all VTP servers and clients in your VTP domain. You can check VTP revision number after that and see it has been increased a also see the source of last VTP domain update address, you should also be able to see the new VLAN on all switches. The proper commands are "sh vtp domain" on CatOs switches and "sh vtp status" on IOS-based switches.

But there has to be a trunk connection to all VTP domain members!!! VTP works only on trunks!

All you need to do on VTP clients (and servers, too) is to assign particular ports to the VLANs.

HTH,

Milan