Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM throughput

bhesk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas as to NAM-2 throughput on a 6500 series switch?

We are implementing a 6513 switch with MSFC-2 and multiple 16 port 10/100/1000 fabric enabled modules. We will have multiple VLANs (20 +) .

Questions:

1. How many VLANs can I monitor with a single NAM at a time. The documentation suggests more than one, but doesn't tell me how many.

2. We are using the WS-X6516-GE-TX= Gig ethernet modules. I am sure that I read somewhere that the NAMs are not capable of monitoring fabric enabled modules - however I can't find the document I saw this in now. Is this true..?

3. If (2) is true, are there any other ways that I can use the NAM to monitor the traffic flowing through the 6500?

Thanks. Barry

1 Reply 1

b.withrow
Level 1
Level 1

I can only tell you what I've seen in regards to your first question. The average number of VLAN's I can span on the NAM at one time is 3. If I do more than 3 I spike the CPU on the NAM. Of course this will depend on the size and traffic on the VLANs. When talking with the TAC I was informed that the only way to solve this problem is to buy another NAM blade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: