cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT issue on Catalyst 9500 - IOS XE 16.9.1 (Fuji)

ALAN MURRAY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

A customer and I are trying to shoehorn a multi-tennanted network into devices which are obviously not intended for the purpose. They purchased a Catalyst 9500 switch for their layer 3 device because it does NAT. Unfortunately it doesn't do NAT + VRF. Next suggestion was to use policy-based routing but that doesn't work either as it appears the 9500 does not support PSB and NAT on the same interface <sigh>. 

OK so option three was to turn the configuration around and use NAT on the interfaces required and then use policy-based routing to provide a default route. All was going along nicely until this last little hurdle which has me stumped. From one of the subnets that requires NAT I can ping a webserver, see the hits on the NAT access list, see the translation and get a reply so:-

ping XXX.XXX.X27.X30 - translates to XXX.XXX.X26.1 and the reply comes in.

However when I try web traffic to the same address - no reply. Also there are no hits on the NAT access list and no translation.

If I web to another server (which BTW does not listen on port 80) I can:-

see the hits on the NAT access list and see the translation. Of course I do not get a reply.

So web to XXX.XXX.X26.X14 - translates to XXX.XXX.X26.1

We know the routing is correct because a tracert to both addresses follows the path that we want it to take. I should also point out the webserver is active as we have connected to it from another subnet.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening here?

Thanks

Al

2 Replies 2

fbabashahi
Spotlight
Spotlight
Hi , please post your configuration

Thanks for the reply. I've been through all this with TAC and it transpires that what we are trying to do is not supported on the Catalyst 9500. This means we had to re-design what the customer had come up with which is fine from my point of view as I believe the new solution is simpler. This will make it a lot easier for anyone coming into the organisation to understand the solution.

Alan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card