cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network managements

dmalamba
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2611 router which i want to use both of its ethernet ports to be conected to same LAN i.e switch. The moment i configure the ports to be in the same network i.e having similar ip addresses e.g 192.168.100.207 and 192.168.100.208 i am receiving an error that there is an overlap. What do i do to resolve this. What if i connect another router to the same switch. would their be a conflict as well. I want to do that inorder that i reduce load on one ethernet port which is my gateway to about 16 remote sites and the internet

1 Reply 1

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

First of all you cannot have two interfaces on the same router be part of the same IP subnet. Without knowing the details about your setup it is hard to suggest anything so it will be very helpful if you can explain how your remote sites are connecting to the central site and what is the LAN/WAN infrastrcuture at your central site.

That being said what is the bandwidth of your internet connection? More than likely it is the internet link that is the bottleneck and not the router's ethernet interface but again we need more details of your setup. Are you actually experiencing heavy loads on this ethernet interface or you just want to use both as you think it will be a better way to do things?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card