cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Security with Hubs

alexitouloumis
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to justify to my CIO the upgrade from hubs to switches based on network security issues. I've been looking for packet sniffers that can capture passwords to show that the hubs need to be changed. Can anyone suggest any apps that can grab passwords off of a network card running promiscuous on a hub?

TIA,

Alexi

7 Replies 7

o.hassairi
Level 1
Level 1

you can use SnifferPro of Network Associates, then make a telnet on a UNIX server, the sniffer can show you the login & the password u used to login.

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Sniffer Pro (as mentioned above) and Network Observer by Network Instruments www.networkinstruments.com are both good tools to have on hand for sniffing the network. They're a bit pricey though.

There is a freeware sniffer type program called ethereal for Linux if you have a linux box. I recommend this since you can download RedHat 7.2 and Ethereal for free.

Mick.

You can also get ethereal for windows, we use it with win2K unfortunately.

alexitouloumis
Level 1
Level 1

I've found that the best one seems to be "Web Sniffer". An inexpensive yet effective application for grabbing passwords.

Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions.

Alexi

Network Instruments Observer is good too, and you can get an eval copy that might be suitable for your purposes.

http://www.networkinstruments.com/html/gni.html

Security is not the only benefit to be derived from using Switches instead of Hubs.

I've done consulting work in the past, and every firm where I substituted switches for hubs saw a dramatic decrease in network problems, and a huge increase in productivity with the faster response time.

A switch really isn't a solution to the 'seeing passwords' problem with a sniffer. A switch will keep the traffic more isolated for that segment, but someone could mirror a port and do a trace, do a trace upstream where all this traffic ends up going, etc.

If the passwords, etc are in the clear and if it is a issue for your company / CIO then look at using desktop applications that encrypt/protect sensitive information (passwords, codes, etc) in some manner before the machine sends the data out on the network.

Erick

Very good points. The performance issue was a given, I just figured the security issues would help push the request through quicker.

Alexi