cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New 4506 switch need help

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

I just received 2 4506 switches and I have setup by assigning a IP address and setting the default gateway. The issue is I can not ping or do an extended ping of a device on any other network/subnet except the 192.168.16.0 ....The switch IP is 192.168.16.4/255.255.252.0 the default gateway set on my 4506 is 192.168.16.1 ..my router is 192.168.16.1. I have several other 3550s and dont have an issue. I need to ping my NS router 192.168.4.1 but can not. I can ping my SS router 192.168.16.1. I do not have either uplink slot connected to my SUP ENG IV. I am connected to my 3550 from port 1 on the x48 port 10/100/1000 blade.

I think I may have to use a layer 3 switch but specs say will work at layer 2 or I have to have uplinked but that does not make sense either. Any suggestions ...Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ahojmark
Level 1
Level 1

The 4506 with Sup4 is a 'L3 switch'/router and will not use a default gateway when ip routing is turned on.

Use at static default instead (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.16.1)

The reason why the 3550s are behaving differently is that by default they have IP routing turned off and therefore act as hosts (and use the default gateway).

HTH,

-A

View solution in original post

jc.cisse
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same problem with a 4506. When it comes to default gateway, you should use the "ip route" command and not the "ip default-gatway".

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

You would thing that it should be configured like any other Layer 2 device running IOS but it is not the case with the 4506.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ahojmark
Level 1
Level 1

The 4506 with Sup4 is a 'L3 switch'/router and will not use a default gateway when ip routing is turned on.

Use at static default instead (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.16.1)

The reason why the 3550s are behaving differently is that by default they have IP routing turned off and therefore act as hosts (and use the default gateway).

HTH,

-A

This is a spec on the switch off Cisco's site....

Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine IV: Delivers integrated resiliency and non-blocking Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF)-based Layer 2/3/4 switching at 48 Mpps, to further enhance control of converged networks.

I have went to several of Cisco 4500 setup pages and most relate to the older series 4003 but I gave the native VLAN1 on the switch a IP and default gateway and the Cisco how to says that should work for layer 2...Am i missing something or reading into it.

I have experience with Cisco's layer3 3550 and I set them up both ways to route and one not to route.

Thanks

Al

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks and I ub=nderstand that but I do not have any routing turned on so the switch should act as layer2 device and work with a default gateway I thought....so you are saying the switch is layer3 which I understand and can not act as a layer2 switch.

Yes, you do have ip routing turned on -- unless you've explicitly turned it off - as that is how it ships out of the box.

'L3 switch' is really nothing but a marketing term for 'fast router' and yes, the Sup3/Sup4 is a fast router. But it will also do L2 switching, just like the 3550s.

But as I said, since you've ip routing turned on, you need to configure a default route instead of a default gateway.

Don't worry about it. Just use ip route instead of default gateway.

-A

PS: You could turn ip routing on, but I wouldn't recommend it, as you'd then lose the possibility to do stuff like QoS.

Thanks and that makes sense especially when you refer to the marketing side. I did use the default route and everything works great.....learn something everyday and I am grateful you took time to help.

Thanks

Al

jc.cisse
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the same problem with a 4506. When it comes to default gateway, you should use the "ip route" command and not the "ip default-gatway".

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

You would thing that it should be configured like any other Layer 2 device running IOS but it is not the case with the 4506.

What do you mean by 'any other L2 device running IOS'?

The C4K behaves like the C6K running Native, which also comes with ip routing turned on, but unlike the smaller stackables like 2950.

-A

Thanks you really helped ..... it makes sense now that this is a L3 switch and you must set the ip route. It all works great. Thanks for all the great help.

Al

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card