cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New ASA 5510 with old software.

tore
Level 1
Level 1

I recently bought an ASA 5510 from our Norwegian reseller Dustin.

The 5510 came with ASA 8.2 and ASDM 6.4.  Before I start using the new 5510, I do of course wish to upgrade it to the most current software.

My reseller tells me that the only way for me to get this software is to buy a service contract, which they are more than willing to sell me...  Is this the case?  Does not Cisco provide the newest software for new products?

Best regards

Tore Ørpetveit

2 Replies 2

turnera
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever you purchase a Cisco product from a reseller, you should also get the service contract to go with it. They go hand in hand. Yes, you will need the service contract to get updates from Cisco. They install the current operating system at the time of the product manufacture. However, if the box sits on the shelf for a while updates may have taken place and they do not get automatically installed on shipped products.

Cisco does provide current software for their products, the method of retreiving them is with the SmartNet contract. And, BTW if you wish to get signature files for that product that is a seperate SmartNet contract as well. It depends if you purchased the module that houses the signature files though.

Tore Ørpetveit

The product is new to you, but is not new to Cisco or (apparently) to your Norwegian reseller Dustin. We do not know anything about the terms of your purchase of the ASA5510 You might try to persuade your reseller Dustin that they should provide the new operating system code on the product that they sold to you. But if you purchased the ASA5510 "as is" then your options are to purchase the service contract or to operate the ASA with the version of code as delivered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: