Views
Helpful
Replies

New site design

smith606306
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have 2 new sites which each have a 40mb connection into the MPLS and are connected together by a 1 gb link. One site is the head office and one is the data centre. We are going to use OSPF along with BGP using prefix lists to advertise the necessary networks. Does anyone have a link to a similar design I can reference as i am a little concerned about assymetric routing in this setup and whether I would need to use IBGP to fail the MPLS.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andrew,

first thing i would recommend you is to keep it simple i mean the routing design as in your topology you could use several ways to get things done but you may end up with a very complicated network to torubleshoot

so if you need to need the communications between HQ and DC over the 1G link over OSPF

and using the WAN as the back up path, one simple way you can use is to advertise the summary route only of the local site over BGP to the WAN

and let the more specific route to be reachable via OSPF this way you will make sure the path for more specific routes will use the 1G/OPSF link

if you have remote sites need to access both sites over the WAN also to use the intersite link from the WAN as a backup e.g. HQ WAN is down however remote site can reach HQ using DC WAN>1G-OSPG path by using some BGP policies "with AS path prepending you can achieve this"

hope this help

View solution in original post

good luck !

if helpful rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andrew,

first thing i would recommend you is to keep it simple i mean the routing design as in your topology you could use several ways to get things done but you may end up with a very complicated network to torubleshoot

so if you need to need the communications between HQ and DC over the 1G link over OSPF

and using the WAN as the back up path, one simple way you can use is to advertise the summary route only of the local site over BGP to the WAN

and let the more specific route to be reachable via OSPF this way you will make sure the path for more specific routes will use the 1G/OPSF link

if you have remote sites need to access both sites over the WAN also to use the intersite link from the WAN as a backup e.g. HQ WAN is down however remote site can reach HQ using DC WAN>1G-OSPG path by using some BGP policies "with AS path prepending you can achieve this"

hope this help

how did you go ? if you need any more assistance let me know

I am going to lab it this week.

I will let you know many thanks

good luck !

if helpful rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: