cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question

allphase1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, i'm new at this so please excuse the inexperience. I just picked up a 2505 to help me study for my CCNA. The problem i'm having is that I can't seem to connect to it. Rather, it doesn't seem to respond to any input commands.I'm connecting via Hyper-terminal using a console cable. The connection is successful and when the router is turned on, I can see the configuration information. However, when I press Return to get started, nothing happens. I've tried to connect with 2 different Pc's which leads me to believe it is a router problem. IOS is 11.2, hyper terminal settings are:

Com1 port

9600 bps

8 data bits

parity - none

stop bits - 1

flow control - none

I hope this is enough info. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Hello,

try different speed settings in your HyperTerminal session, somebody might have changed the console port speed.

Also, try and reboot the router, then press Ctrl+Break within 10 seconds after power up. You should see a prompt that looks like this:

ROMMON>

or

ROMMON#>

If the ROMmon prompt is ">", type the following at the ROMmon prompt:

>o/r 0x2102

>i

If the ROMmon prompt is "rommon #>", type the following at the prompt:

rommon 1> confreg 0x2102

Then, type ´reset´ to reboot the router.

If that doesn´t help either, get back into ROMMON mode and type ´setup´ , accept the defaults, and at a certain point you will be asked about the console port settings, here, make sure the speed is 9600...

Let me know if any of this works.

Regards,

Georg

d_pinto
Level 1
Level 1

Those settings look correct... What type of cable are you using to connect to the console port ? You can't use an ordinary RJ45 straight through. You need to use a roll over cable.

The specs for a roll over cable are below hope this helps...

Your router comes with a console and auxiliary cable kit, which contains the cable and adapters you need to connect a console terminal (an ASCII terminal or PC running terminal emulation software) or modem to your router. The console and auxiliary cable kit includes the following items:

* RJ-45-to-RJ-45 roll-over cable. (See the next section, "Identifying a Roll-Over Cable," for more information.)

* RJ-45-to-DB-9 female DTE adapter (labeled "TERMINAL").

* RJ-45-to-DB-25 female DTE adapter (labeled "TERMINAL").

* RJ-45-to-DB-25 male DCE adapter (labeled "MODEM").

For console connections, proceed to the section "Console Port Signals and Pinouts" later in this appendix; for modem connections, proceed to the section "Auxiliary Port Signals and Pinouts" later in this appendix.

Identifying a Roll-Over Cable

You can identify a roll-over cable by comparing the two modular ends of the cable. Holding the cables side-by-side, with the tab at the back, the wire connected to the pin on the outside of the left plug should be the same color as the wire connected to the pin on the outside of the right plug. (See Figure C-1.) If your cable came from Cisco Systems, pin 1 will be white on one connector, and pin 8 will be white on the other (a roll-over cable reverses pins 1 and 8, 2 and 7, 3 and 6, and 4 and 5).

Figure C-1: Identifying a Roll-Over Cable

Console Port Signals and Pinouts

Use the thin, flat, RJ-45-to-RJ-45 roll-over cable and RJ-45-to-DB-9 female DTE adapter (labeled "TERMINAL") to connect the console port to a PC running terminal emulation software. Figure C-2 shows how to connect the console port to a PC. Table C-1 lists the pinouts for the asynchronous serial console port, the RJ-45-to-RJ-45 roll-over cable, and the RJ-45-to-DB-9 female DTE adapter (labeled "TERMINAL").

Figure C-2: Connecting the Console Port to a PC

Table C-1: Console Port Signaling and Cabling Using a DB-9 Adapter Console Port (DTE) RJ-45-to-RJ-45 Roll-Over Cable RJ-45-to-DB-9 Terminal Adapter Console Device

Signal RJ-45 Pin RJ-45 Pin DB-9 Pin Signal

RTS 1 8 8 CTS

DTR 2 7 6 DSR

TxD 3 6 2 RxD

GND 4 5 5 GND

GND 5 4 5 GND

RxD 6 3 3 TxD

DSR 7 2 4 DTR

CTS 8 1 7 RTS

so what this is basically saying is that pin 1 should on one side of the rj 45 head should go to pin 8, pin 2 to pin 7 and so forth...

Here's a link you can use to get a better description of the cabling...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/fhubs/bmmicg/bmmconn.htm

-DP

OK guys. First, thanks for the quick responses. As far as I can tell, the connection seems to be fine. I am using a roll over cable. It's a Cat5 jumper that I made myself, not the flat cable. Nothing came with the router, just the power cord. Anyway, the cable was checked with a set of Lan testers and i'm connected to the PC via a serial adapter (DB9?). I tried resetting the connection speed to every available setting, no luck. Only the 9600 setting produced legible charachters, the others were unreadable. Which leads me to believe everything is good. I also tried the control/break with no luck. Here is what is displayed when I turn it on, maybe this will help:

I'll have to put it in the next post.

Again, thanks in advance.

allphase1
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the info.:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 6144 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 11.2 may not be correctly under

stood.

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0.1, changed state to down

F3: 4217916+56064+236540 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 11.2(12), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1998 b

Compiled Mon 23-Feb-98 14:32 by tlane

Image text-base: 0x03022E7C, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2505 (68030) processor (revision K) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 06971292, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

8 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 repeater port(s)

2 Serial network interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Press RETURN to get started!

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state to down

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Loopback0, changed state to up

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0.1, changed state to down

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

%SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 11.2(12), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 23-Feb-98 14:32 by tlane

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1, changed state to administratively down

johnsos
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried plugging into the aux port yet? Sounds like rcv pin on the router isnt working.