cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Orange Led (take 2)

sharon669
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all already asked this question, hope this time I will explain it better …

The Question is simple:

I have 2950 switch,

I want to connect a CAT-5 cable to one of the ports to the 2950,

And at the end of the CAT-5 cable to link its wires, Or solder an electronic circuit to the CAT-5 cable so the Orange Led will light constantly.

The main goal is to identify a socket from distance,

What I'm trying to is plug this wire in the socket, go to the 2950 and see where the physical connection in the switch is.

Do you guys have any idea how to link the wires so no damage to the switch will occur?

Or is there any circuit / fluke / test equipment that will light the orange led?

Thank you very much!

Sharon.

11 Replies 11

pflunkert
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Sharon,

i would try a loop back cable. I don't know if the led will goes on, but when you will look to the interface you should identify the port (looped).

Regards

Peter

Thank's Peter

loop is a good idea ,

i am afraid to cause damsge to the 2950 switch ...

but i will try it .

Sharon

In my opinion you can't damage the switch. It's the same when you have a link error.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

I took a 2950 switch and single CAT-5 cable

I removed the connector on one side and connected the 2nd connector to the switch

I think there are 6*5*4*3*2*1 combinations to short circuit the wires

And I tried lots of combination and no sign of green or orange led on the switch!

I think I need to connect voltage (2v-5v) to mimic an end station Nic ,

Or I need to ask professional hardware engineer about this matter

Do you guys know where I can find forum's of advanced network card hardware discussions ?

Thank you very much!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

i ask our internal Cisco Forum, but in the moment i don't have any response. But first here is link which could help you: www.patchsee.com

Regards

Peter

I think the problem lies in the wires you are shorting together. Short the wires in the following combination:

1. Wire 1 with wire 3 (Transmit+ with Receive+)

2. Wire 2 with wire 6 (Transmit- with Receive-)

Leave the other wires unshorted as they are not used in the RJ45 standard. Plug this connector in the switch and it should simulate end device connectivity.

Hi awan

Thank you for the Tip

Is the Wire 1 is like here?

http://www.southwest.com.au/~jfuller/rj45/rj45.htm

Or do you mean the 1 in the switch port?

Anyway I will test both combination first thing Sunday!

Thanks again

Sharon,

Yes basically wire 1 is the same wire that is terminated on pin 1 shown in the link you provided. No matter what standard you are following (T568A or T568B) you should only have to short the orange-white with green-white and orange with green.

Hope it works out for you.

Hi awan

Shorting

wires 1 & 3

wires 2 & 6

Works terrific! And gives steady green light

But I need an orange light in order to identify from other green led's

While shorting the wires I noticed that the led is orange for few seconds,

I can build small electric circuit that will open and close the circuit every few seconds.

Or do you recommend other combination of wire shoring

Thank you!!!!

Sharon

Glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately no other combination of wire shorting will produce an Orange LED (It will not even produce a green one). .

There are a number of cable testing devices that will flash / toggle / blink a port's led (in addition to the usual suite of tests).

I use a Fluke, but I know I've seen it as a feature on other (cheaper) systems.

Shorting the media on a production switch can have an effect on the system's performance ... usually considered a bad practice.

FWIW

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card