cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

password failure in cat 3550 12T

kvrmurty
Level 1
Level 1

I have erased the startup config,reload the switch and then applied the new config script including the "enable secret xxxx" I exited the switch and when i try to log into the console subsequently i get the first level access but donot getinto previlged mode using the enable password"xxxx" as mentioned above.

Subsequently I reloaded the switch and recovered the password by renaming the config.text to config.old

Again I cut and pasted the switch script including the "enable secret xxxx" and logged out. But now when i try to login iam unable to get into the previlged mode by giviin the secret password xxxx. I again went into the boot mode and am at the switch: prompt but when i try to rename the file config.text to config,old the message i get is it cannot rename as the file already exists.

Then I try deleting the file config.old but get the message permission denied

Can anyone help me with this

Thanks

Murty

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Really you want to blow away the second copy of config.txt altogether. You have the config.old to fall back on if you need it.

Best thing you can do is follow the password recovery procedure. Go into rommon and set the config register to 0x2142 or whatever. Reboot, and it will come up ignoring the NVRAM and without passwords. You can then manipulate the files as you need.

Try this document for details: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html

I would avise you to save a copy of all your config files on a TFTP server - you never know when you might need tem.

Thankyou for the suggestion. I had already done as per the password recvery procedure excepting the last couple of steps whisch is from point No. 9 onwards.

I did another interesting thing to get the config.Maybe others could benifit from my stupid mistakes.

In rommon(boot)mode I renamed as follows

switch:rename flash:config.old flash:config.new

switch:rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

switch:boot

and the switch booted to the startup config.

subsequently i followed from step 9 onwards and was able to get back the whole thing to normal