Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance issue with WS-X6248 modules

alex.alexander
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Today I noticed some performance issues with some servers connected on a Cat6509 running CatOS. The servers were connected on a WS-X6248 module. I upgraded the switch to the latest releases and the performance issue was still present.

The I tried on a WS-X6348 and it worked well.

Who had perfromance issues with WS-X6248 modules?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alex

P.S.: I tried some WS-X6248 and the problem was ever there.

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you provide more details? Also, try enabling flowcontrol between the front panel ASICs on the 6248 and the backplane asics using the hidden command "set option flowcontrol enable"

Hello Prashanth,

On a switch (Cat6509) running with one supervisory (Sup1a), I have some WS-X6348 and also some WS-X6248 modules. The same server connected for the first test on the 6248 module and then on the 6348 module for the second test.

The test consists in sending data from the server to another server and on the 6348 I have better results then on the 6248 module. On each module the server is connected on a 100M full duplex port.

There is a big difference between the throughput on the 6348 and on the 6248. To be sure that the problem wasn’t linked to a faulty module, I tested some 6248 modules and also some CatOS versions.

At this time it seems that there is a limitation on the 6248 modules.

Alex

Some additional ifo.:

- Tried the provided command and this one isn't known on the switch.

- The last catOS that I tried is the 7.6(10) version, but the productions switches are running 6.4(x).

Did you try enabling internal flow control as I had suggested using "set option flowcontrol enable" and do the tests again?