cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Permanent usbflash0: boot option?

Angelo ANELLO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,  just wanted to know if it is possible to use the usbflash0: port to boot the IOS on a permanent basis?  Will the system reboot and load the IOS automatically or does it always default to ROMMON mode and require a manual start?  Is the USB port only for emergency situations?  I am unable to find a definitive answer online.

Using 2801 CISCO router IOS 12.4 and comp-atible ROMMON image to acknowledge USB flash.

Your feedback is appreciated

Regards,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5

Thanks for the output.

You need to upgrade the bootstrap to 12.4(13r)T6 or later.  I'd recommend you upgrade to T11 or T13.

The command to boot from USB is hidden (either from ROMmon or CLI).

To boot from USB, the command is "boot system usbflash0:file.bin". 

View solution in original post

To upgrade the bootstrap, the command is "upgrade rom file tftp:///filename".

To boot from ROMmon to CLI, the command is "boot flash:filename.bin".

I've upgraded alot of routers' bootstrap and never have I seen a behaviour like that.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If dealing with an ISR G1 like the 2800, it will depend if your router has the correct bootstrap installed.

Can you please post the complete output to the commadn "sh version".

Thanks for the reply.  Below is the bootstrap.  Our router only has 128Mb RAM and 64Mb CF Memory, so we are limited in which IOS we can use.  I have found the below version to be the newest based on our routers specs.  The bootstrap has also been loaded and is compatible with the IOS version.  USB device when plugged in is identified, this is not the issue.  I plugged in the USB stick and copied a valid image file on it, however, when i reboot the router it goes the ROMMON prompt only.  i have to manually boot the system from USB.

Can i make the default boot device the USB stick and not the flash card?

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(18e), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 02-Mar-09 04:13 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

GLOBALSW-PRIMARY-RTR uptime is 3 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c2801-spservicesk9-mz.124-18e.bin"

Cisco 2801 (revision 4.1) with 115712K/15360K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FHK084010NJ

6 FastEthernet interfaces

1 Serial(sync/async) interface

DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.

191K bytes of NVRAM.

62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5

Thanks for the output.

You need to upgrade the bootstrap to 12.4(13r)T6 or later.  I'd recommend you upgrade to T11 or T13.

The command to boot from USB is hidden (either from ROMmon or CLI).

To boot from USB, the command is "boot system usbflash0:file.bin". 

I read somewhere in a cisco forum discussion that any bootloader higher than my current version is not compatible with 2801 version, only 2811 and 2821 can use the higher versions.  Is this true?  The reason i ask is that i have already tried to upgrade to version T11 and when rebooting, it gets stuck trying to upgrade the boot loader.  I then have to reboot manually and it reverts to the original version.  Have you ever come across this?

Also, is the boot command from ROMMON or from the CLI?

Thanks again

To upgrade the bootstrap, the command is "upgrade rom file tftp:///filename".

To boot from ROMmon to CLI, the command is "boot flash:filename.bin".

I've upgraded alot of routers' bootstrap and never have I seen a behaviour like that.

ok thanks i will try that out.

One last thing, if i remove the CF card permanently is it possible to boot from USB and go straight to login without having to enter the following command, boot flash:filename.bin, after the router is powered on?  Can the USB act as the CF card and be the only source of flash memory available in the router?

Thanks,