Replies

Poor ping response time on 2924XL

h.schwob
Level 1
Level 1

Customer is experiencing long " ping " response time from his

2924's management interface.

His values are around avg/max 6/124

I have tested in our lab with nothing else connected as my PC and I got avg/max 5/50ms

Can somebody explain these values ?

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies 3

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Routers and switches are coded to always put a very low priority on responding to pings, as its primary job is to forward packets. Therefore, you should never expect to see consistent response times when pinging a router or switch.

HTH,

Bobby

Hi, I have never seen any issues specifically with 2900XL models and slow icmp response time. Try tracing to see if suboptimal routing is happening. It may tell you where the bottleneck is.

Hello,

the first ping might take a little longer, as an ARP request/reply is needed to start sending packets.

Have you tried with 500 pings directly connected to the switch? What values do you get then?

The other thing is: the ping response time to the management interface consists of several parts: transportation and ICMP packet interpretation, ICMP reply creation and ICMP reply transportation.

The ICMP interpretation and creation part can be the longest ( as a previous post explaines). You can not conclude transportation ties from the measured values.

To test switching times ping between two hosts connected to the switch.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts

Martin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card