port-security violation error question

Armegeden
Level 1
Level 1

switchport port-security

switchport port-security maximum 1

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.1111

That is the generic setup we do for our switches. This is my first time really using port-security, and we're getting users calling in when they decide to switch ports on us, so I would say it's working effectively.

My question is: Is there a way to view or tftp the log for a particular switch that has a port in err-disabled and have it tell me what unique MAC address *tried* to connect to the port?

Rephrased: How can I see the non-sticky MAC address that put the port in "err-disabled."

Sorry if my wording is hard to understand. It makes sense in my head 8)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Did you check the switch logs. What does " show log " gives you. I think the switch logs the events in its buffer.

You cna have logging enable on a server to and you need a syslog server for that.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea5/2950scg/swlog.htm

HTH,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

kumarsh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I verified this on my Cat6500, To me it clearly throws up a syslog message to say which Mac address did the violation. I am not sure which image you are using, Please use latest image and verify.

BOX1(config-if)#

02:44:33: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet4/16, changed state to down

02:44:33: %PM-SP-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Gi4/16, putting Gi4/16 in err-disable state

02:44:33: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet4/16, changed state to down

02:44:33: %PORT_SECURITY-SP-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address 0000.0000.0058 on port GigabitEthernet4/16.

02:44:32: %PM-SP-STDBY-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Gi4/16, putting Gi4/16 in err-disable state

BOX1(config-if)#

Thx

Shesh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Did you check the switch logs. What does " show log " gives you. I think the switch logs the events in its buffer.

You cna have logging enable on a server to and you need a syslog server for that.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12122ea5/2950scg/swlog.htm

HTH,

-amit singh

jaleach
Level 1
Level 1

Can I ask - I'm just about to impliment port security on our switches.

If you leave off the last command:

>> switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0000.0000.1111

Will the switch automatically use the current MAC address using the port as the secured (authorised) MAC?

Can you do the above commands on all switch-ports at once (ie, with a single command)?

Lastly - if the switch is rebooted or looses power, will port security (and list of secure MACs) remain or will they be wiped?

Cheers!

Be warned that I am no port-security expert, but this is with my experience: 8)

You do not need the last sticky command, I was just including this to show that the sticky option did indeed nail a MAC addy to the port.

When you issue the sticky command, it will take whatever Dynamically learned (currently attached) MAC address that is currently connected and turn that into a "sticky" (or static) address.

Yes, as far as I know, this will "stick" even after a reload.

And as far as all the ports, be extra careful you don't accidentally port-secure a trunked interface.

But yes, this can be done to a range.

config t

int range fa0/1 -24

switchport port-security

switchport port-security maximum 1

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

end

sh port-security

(i realize the 'maximum 1' is redundant, but I like to see it in the 'sh run' output)

Thanks for your prompt response. We don't run any trunking or VLANs on our network so that's not a problem.

Thanks again.

kumarsh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I verified this on my Cat6500, To me it clearly throws up a syslog message to say which Mac address did the violation. I am not sure which image you are using, Please use latest image and verify.

BOX1(config-if)#

02:44:33: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet4/16, changed state to down

02:44:33: %PM-SP-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Gi4/16, putting Gi4/16 in err-disable state

02:44:33: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet4/16, changed state to down

02:44:33: %PORT_SECURITY-SP-2-PSECURE_VIOLATION: Security violation occurred, caused by MAC address 0000.0000.0058 on port GigabitEthernet4/16.

02:44:32: %PM-SP-STDBY-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Gi4/16, putting Gi4/16 in err-disable state

BOX1(config-if)#

Thx

Shesh

Hmm, well that would solve my problem then.

I guess the best thing for me to do is setup a syslog server and have the switches log to them.

Which security level would pertain to those err-disable messages? Warnings (4) or Notifications (5). I would like to keep the log traffic at a minimum, so I would guess one of these levels would suffice for me.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card