Views
Helpful
Replies

PTP Configuration on Cisco Nexus 93180YC-EX

Clarkk17
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I am trying to configure my Cisco Nexus 93180YC-EX as a PTP Boundary clock. I've configured PTP globally and set the clock protocol to use PTP. My Grand Master clock is a Qulsar Qg2 currently outputting a multicast PTPv2 protocol. Using a port mirror and tcpdump, I was able to capture a PCAP to confirm that the switch can see the multicast PTP packets. I would like guidance on accomplishing the next few steps...

My Current Layout

• Port 17 - Connected to Grand Master (Qulsar Qg2)
    • Qulsar is outputting multicast PTPv2
  • Port 36 - Connected to Server 1
  • Port 39 - Connected to Server 2

1. Confirm the switch is synchronized to the grandmaster clock. I've configured the switch as a boundary clock. Is there a "show" command where I can see a "locked" or "sync" state? Anything to confirm it has synced to the GM. Using "show ptp clock" doesn't seem to give me much. It shows "offset from master: 0" which I'm skeptical about.

2. I have two downstream servers that need PTP synchronization. Both are currently connected to ports on the switch (port 36 and 39) and both are reachable. Would I configure both ports on the switch as unicast masters? Then configure the IP addresses of the downstream servers as unicast slaves to those masters? 

When I make a port on the switch a "master" to serve a downstream server, does the master synchronize it's clock to the switches clock? I am getting confused on how the boundary clock distributes the PTP synchronization to the other ports on the switch. Do I have to set each port up as a slave to the GM? That would seem to defeat the whole purpose. 

My Guess at Correct Configuration:

• Port 17 - Connected to Grand Master (Qulsar Qg2)
  • Port 36 - Connected to Server 1
    • Port 36 becomes a unicast master
      • Server 1 IP Address - unicast slave
  • Port 39 - Connected to Server 2
    • Port 39 becomes a unicast master
      • Server 2 IP Address - unicast slave

1 Reply 1

Clarkk17
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is my guess.