cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Configuration

dbellazetin
Level 4
Level 4

Hello I have a pretty simple internet connection that supplies access for 2 PCs.

The downstream bandwidth is 500K

The upstream bandwidth is 256K

I want to restrict each PC to have 250K download speed, and 125K upload speed. But maybe be able to allocate more speed if there is not to much load (like if only one PC were online at a time).

Can some one provide me with a simple configuration for this and maybe describe what it means.

I have 2611 with the latest 12.3 IP/FW/IDS

Daniel

1 Reply 1

tsettle
Level 3
Level 3

To the Internet you really only have control over the upstream (how much bw is used for a request, where users can make requests, etc). One PC can potentially overwhelm the feed downstream from your ISP - by downloading large amounts of data. There's not much point in policing it from the router to PC unless you are trying to penalize the user. Either way the other PC still suffers (because the ISP link was saturated). If these are mission critical Internet access stations then I would suggest identifying exactly where they need to go and restricting their access to only those locations. From there you may be able to better shape their activity.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card