Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Implementation

m.dridi89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Recently ,I've been studying about qos  for a project our client  have multiple ISP connection  in my case :

LAN--------ROUTER1-------400M----------------------WAN--------------100M--------------ROUTER2-----------LAN

AS you can see  we have 400M in one side and 100M in the other 

My initial configuration is 

policy-map  parent

class class-default 

service-policy child

shape average  ----------> here come the issue  should i write it 400000k  and then i can experience a congestion in router 2 or 100000k and then the client will loss 300M ????

is there a solution to overcome this issue??

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The parent policy on each router should match the actual circuit size.  So 400M on router 1, and 100M on router 2.

Then you create a child policy on each router guaranteeing how much bandwidth to use for the VPN.  So if you wanted to guarantee 80% for the VPN, you would make the child policy 80Mb/s on both ends.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You would shape router1 to 100 Mbps, for traffic going to router2.  (Actually, I recommend you shape about 15% slower, to allow for L2 overhead.)

This allows you to use your 300 Mbps for other things, but not for traffic to router2, which the other 300 Mbps doesn't exist any way.

BTW, the advantage of shaping, is it allows you to manage congestion, that would otherwise not be managed by you.  If you have no interest in managing your congestion, there's no real reason to shape.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card