cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Multilayer Switching

bcheang
Level 1
Level 1

I am quite newbie in the network worls and I had been tasked to design a network with L3 switching with redundancy links.

Network Topology

- 6 units L3 edge switches with dual GE uplinks to the 2 units core L3 switches.

- Dual links between the 2 core L3 switches.

- Each of edge L3 switches carries a VLAN (eg. Switch 1 - Vlan 100, Switch 2 - Vlan 2..etc)

- VRRP is configured on the edge L3 switches for redundancy to the core.

Is STP required in this case? My collegue had suggested to enable STP on the edge L3 switch and do OSPF routing?

Appreciate any advises on the network setup.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

hmohammadi
Level 1
Level 1

hi

if your dual links are trunks , threre are no need to ether channel them or run stp becouse there is no loop over parallel trunk or ether channel link.

so its better to let the stp by its default.

ospf over vrrp is a good choice.

bye

subbarao.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Below URL can help you if you can spend sometime in undestanding these.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns147/ns17/networking_solutions_package.html

Good luck!

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

STP and all other L2 level protocols should be terminated at distribution switches. and from distribution switches, tere should be only L3 links to core switches so that all the broadcasts and multicasts can be stopped at distribution level.

core switches should be used only for WAN routing .

access-----------------distribution--------------core

Trunks(L2) (L3)

in vlans you will see lot of un-necesary broadcasts which could waste processing capabilities of core. VRRP with OSPF is fine on core switches.

Kindly update for further clarification....

Aashish C

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card