Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Line VTY Access / CatOs

zapanta.f
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a Cat4006 with a router card and I am unable to telnet nor ssh to either of the cards. On the Mod1 (Swtich Card) I am able to console and not ssh or telnet. I recieve a connection to host lost. On the Mod2 (RtR Card) I am able to telnet and not ssh.

Thank you in advance!!

Switch Mod: 10.10.xxx.1

Rtr Mod: 10.10.xx.5

RtR Version:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) L3 Switch/Router Software (CAT4232-IN-M), Version 12.0(25)W5(27b) RELEASE SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 11-May-04 19:23 by integ

Image text-base: 0x60010928, data-base: 0x6061A000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(7)W5(15b) RELEASE SOFTWARE

ROM: L3 Switch/Router Software (CAT4232-IN-M), Version 12.0(18)W5(22a) RELEASE SOFTWARE

RtR Line VTY CFG:

line vty 0 4

access-class 199 in

password 7

login local

transport input telnet

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check ACL 199 and see if you are allowed to telnet into the switch from the subnet you are attached to . You would not be able to ssh because that is not setup as the transport protocol.

G,

Here is my acl for 199. I have verified I am on this subnet to be able to access the swtich via telnet.

access-list 199 permit tcp 10.10.xx.0 0.0.0.255 any eq telnet

I believe that there may be two parts of this problem. First I would suggest that instead of an extended access list for the access-class on the vty ports that you use an standard access list.

I believe that the other part of the issue may be even more problematic. The vty includes the configuration login local. This requires that usernames and passwords be configured. Are there usernames and passwords configured?

I suggest that you remove the login local and change the access class to a standard access list. Then it will be much easier to telnet.

Also the vty are configured with transport input telnet. That explains why SSH does not work. If you want to be able to do both telnet and SSH then configure transport telnet ssh.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to where I can find the command on CATOS? I am unable to access telnet on mod1 (Switch card). The connection is established then drops once it tries to intiate the connection.

"Connection to host lost."

Press any key to continue...

grrrr

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card