cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redistribtion eigrp into ospf

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I am still having issues with redistribution, if im redistribting eigrp into ospf what metric values do I need to put in ? do I need to work them out and if so how to I do this ?

thanks a million

7 Replies 7

eric_chan
Level 1
Level 1

Here is an example i found

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009487e.shtml#ospf

-------------

OSPF

The following output shows an OSPF router redistributing static, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, and IS-IS routes.

router ospf 1

network 131.108.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

redistribute static metric 200 subnets

redistribute rip metric 200 subnets

redistribute igrp 1 metric 100 subnets

redistribute eigrp 1 metric 100 subnets

redistribute isis metric 10 subnets

The OSPF metric is a cost value based on 108/ bandwidth of the link in bits/sec. For example, the OSPF cost of Ethernet is 10: 108/107 = 10

Note: If a metric is not specified, OSPF puts a default value of 20 when redistributing routes from all protocols except Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)routes, which get a metric of 1.

When there is a major net that is subnetted, you need to use the keyword subnet to redistribute protocols into OSPF. Without this keyword, OSPF only redistributes major nets that are not subnetted.

It is possible to run more than one OSPF process on the same router; however, running more than one process of the same protocol is rarely needed, and consumes the router's memory and CPU.

You do not need to define metric or use the default-metric command when redistributing one OSPF process into another.

------------

why are these values being used though ?, what is it doing ?

"redistribute rip metric 200 subnets

redistribute igrp 1 metric 100 subnets

redistribute eigrp 1 metric 100 subnets

redistribute isis metric 10 subnets "

They only matter if you are redistributing the same route into OSPF in multiple places. If there is only 1 route its metric is always the best no matter what it is. What numbers you pick will make little difference as long as you are consistant.

You don't need to define the metric value when redistributing into OSPF if OSPF learns theose routes from one single source.

Metric is used to compare OSPF route preference. If OSPF can learn the same route from more than one sources, you will need to see if there's a need to manipulate metric value to have the route selection as you want to.

Hope this helps

Gary

can you give me a scenario if possbiel ?

For example:

You have router A,B,C running OSPF. Router A redistributing a route from EIGRP into OSPF. Router B redistributing the same route from static into OSPF. Router C will learn the same route from A and B through OSPF. Now you need to decide which is preferred. You can do this by setting metric values on Router A and B for redistribution.

Hope this helps

Gary

can you show me an example of this with the metric please, thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card