cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redundant routing via static

shaun.white
Level 1
Level 1

the stripped down configuration of what i have is a router plugged into a switch that every port is on the same vlan (and the switch is doing NO routing). from the switch i go into two diffrent firewalls (pix and fortinet) which are NOT doing stateful failover. what i need to do is route the internat networks behind the firwall from the router to the firewall. But i want one firewall to be the primary route and one to be the secondary. if the primary fails then the secondary route takes over. so what i did was

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 <firewall A>

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 <firewall B> 150

when i unplug the primary firewall the first static route never goes down. The floating route never takes over, even though i cant ping firewall A. What am i doing wrong? I know i could fix most of this by running ospf on the router an firewalls but a requirement of the task is that no routing other then static is running on the firewalls

1 Reply 1

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The static route will not be removed from the routing table just because the firewall goes down. As long as the ethernet interface is in status up/up, the route remains in the RIB.

You can use the reliable static routing feature to remove the route from the routing table if the host doesn't respond to a ping for instance.

For more information on this feature, refer to the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México