cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote accress (ssh or telnet ) Problem !

bolybay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I hope your day is going well!

My Cisco Router 3845 has a problem that prevents me from accessing it remotely via ssh or telnet.

I repeatedly configured the ssh and telnet settings, but the issue persisted. I also tried using different ssh clients (securecrt & putty)

I'm not sure if the router has a bug or is misconfigured.

bolybay_0-1667174647828.png 

bolybay_1-1667174663186.png

bolybay_2-1667174868150.png

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Did  you also generate an ssh key (?), check this document : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security-vpn/secure-shell-ssh/4145-ssh.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I found that no ssh key had been generated but I still have a telnet issue.

I think telnet didn't require keys. It only needs to be set properly.

- What error do you get for telnet connection attempt(s) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

bolybay_0-1667208134025.png

bolybay_1-1667208153838.png

ok what is the your IP address ?

are you able to ping the device ip address from the device you trying to connect ?

what logs you see on the router, show logging ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

- Use the console connection and check the logs when the telnet connection is attempted , check if you can find any useful info.

M.

if you can ping and can not telnet then there is FW drop the telnet/SSH traffic 

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@bolybay,

The "show running-config" output for "Line VTY 0 4" indicates that it is configured to use "login local". This means that a "user name" and password" are required. If these settings are not configured the remote device will "refuse the connection" (for both telnet and ssh). Please ensue that a "user name" and password" are configured.

If a "user name" and password" are configured and you still can't telnet into the remote device, try the following:

1. Verify settings on all devices (IP addresses, etc.).

2. As others have suggested - Ping remote device to check connectivity.

3. From "Line VTY 0 4" - use "no transport input telnet ssh" and "no transport output telnet ssh" to remove protocol restrictions. Use "no login local" to remove "user name" and password" requirements. "Use show-running-config" to verify settings.
Router#show running-config
!
line vty 0 4
no login
!
This configuration allows any protocol and requires no authentication. Encryption settings aren't applicable when using telnet.

4. If you are unsure of the "Terminal Emulator" (SecureCRT, Putty, etc.), you can use your Windows CMD Prompt (or MAC Terminal) to Telnet.

5. Telnet into the remote device.

Let the community know the results.

HTH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.