Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Software Upgrade 3750

m.waelti
Level 1
Level 1

hi.

we have some catalyst 3750 stacks with l2 and l3 software installed.

the stack is just propperly running if all the members have the same minor-software-releas.

im not sure how to do a major-software-release upgrade of a stack. a minor-software-release upgrade is not a problem because the stack-master will provide the minor-software-releas to all stack members.

we dont use the cluster manager software.

we would like to distribute the ios throug tftp.

so how can i do a major-software upgrade for a stack via tftp and the stack is still operate properly.

thanks for a useful answer.

Marcel

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Normally there isn't a problem running 2 different versions of code . Just start on the top unit and proceed down the stack .

in the stack i have just one ip address. do i have to load the image via tftp into all flashs(1-n) of the stack?

is it enough to change the bootstatement on the stackmaster?

cantorb
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I've done...it works beautifully. First have a TFTP server set up with the appropriate tar file available. Then to install IOS (.tar) on the 3750 Stacks will be upgraded by issuing the following command from the privileged exec mode:

archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://10.xxx.xxx.xxx/ c3750-i5k91-tar.122-20.SE3.tar

Of course you will use the IP of your TFTP server and the name of the file that you wish to install. This command will install the IOS onto every switch in the stack, overwrite the existing IOS and perform a reboot. Its quite beautiful actually.

bc

it sounds verry good, but does it work also for the .bin file. we don't work with the .tar file.

Well the .bin is contained in the .tar along with some html files so that you can use the web admin stuff. I don't think the command will work if you only specify the .bin. However, I have never tried it. Hope I've been of help?!

bc